It is important to keep the controllers of your VR headset always charged to quickly start a game at any time. But many users of the Oculus Quest 2 encounter some difficulties with charging the Oculus Touch controllers on their headsets. In this article, we will therefore see the procedure for how to charge oculus quest 2 controllers.
◆ What you must remember?
Before you start, you should know that:
- Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2 use one AA battery per controller.
- It is recommended to buy two pairs of rechargeable AA batteries in order to always have a pair in charge.
- The optional Oculus charging station, Anker, allows you to charge your Oculus Touch controllers without having to remove the batteries.
◆ How to charge oculus quest 2 controllers?
Looking at the controllers that come with the Oculus Quest 2 , you might think they don’t have removable battery/battery compartments; but it is nevertheless the case. If you look closely at your Oculus Touch controllers, you’ll find a small eject icon molded into the plastic of each grip, roughly opposite where the trigger button is. This is the battery compartment cover and a single AA battery is inside each of the controllers. The batteries supplied are alkaline and unfortunately cannot be recharged.
To charge the controllers of your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, you must therefore first replace the supplied alkaline batteries with rechargeable batteries . Then, you will then only have to charge these batteries when they are discharged, using a compatible battery charger. For added convenience, you can buy four rechargeable batteries instead of two and leave two batteries in the charger, so they’re always ready for gaming.
Here is the procedure for charging the batteries of the Oculus Touch controllers:
- Hold a controller in one or both hands with the small eject symbol facing up and away from you.
- Gently push outward with your thumb or thumbs to unlock the battery compartment cover.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Remove the AA battery and replace it with another rechargeable one that you have already bought on the market.
- Put the cover back in place then do the same with the 2nd controller of your VR headset.
- As an option, place two additional AA batteries in a charger and when the batteries of your controllers run out, you can replace them with batteries that are already charged.
◆ How to charge Oculus Quest 2 controllers with the charging station?
As mentioned above, the batteries delivered with the Oculus Quest 2 are not rechargeable. But the Anker Charging Dock for Oculus Quest 2 turns controllers into rechargeable devices. Even though the station is from the Anker brand , it is an officially licensed Oculus product that allows you to charge your headphones and controllers without difficulty.
Here is the procedure for charging your Oculus Touch controllers using the charging station:
- Remove the AA battery covers from your controllers.
- Then remove the batteries from the controllers and replace them with the rechargeable batteries supplied with the charging station before replacing the battery covers supplied with the charging station.
This is because the charging station comes with special rechargeable batteries whose charging contacts are on the sides. Be sure to position the charging contacts so that they face outward. Furthermore, the covers delivered with the charging station are identical to the original covers of the controllers, but they have electrical contacts to facilitate charging.
- When you are not using your Oculus Quest 2, place the controllers, as well as the VR headset, in the spaces reserved at the level of the charging station.
Charging time for the Oculus Quest 2 is approximately 2.5 hours . Within this time, players can expect a full charge of their VR headset and controllers.
◆ Other ways to charge your Oculus Quest 2 controllers
Since the Quest 2 controllers run around one AA battery, you can’t really install any other type of batteries to charge them. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t have more innovative ways to charge your controllers. A good solution to this is a charging station. Fortunately, Anker has a fully functional charging station that has been officially authorized by Meta or formerly Facebook.
The docking station comes with rechargeable batteries and battery covers that enable wireless charging. Plus, you can even charge the Oculus Quest 2 itself by placing it on the dock. So next time you don’t want to have to open the covers, just go ahead and buy the Anker Quest 2 Charging Station ( $99 ) and be done with it.
I’m sourav, from Kolkata. A tech lover and love to answer any tech-related queries. I just try answering all questions like my problem.