A.) What personnel records would you suggest for a small retailer with three employees?
B.)What kind of problems can be encountered when requesting references from previous employers of job applicants?
C.) In staffing their offices, some firms encourage in-house referrals (recommendations of their present employees). What are some possible objections to this practice as a means of obtaining job applicants? What advantages may be realized by the firm that uses in-house referrals?
A. Personnel records are very important from running a human resource department perspective. Following records must be maintained irrespective of number of employees.
Employee Selection / Interview data etc. name following
- Employee Resume
- Job related test and answer sheet
- Copies of educational qualification and previous employments records
- Background verification documents
- Job description
- Appraisals / performance reports
- Attendance Records
- Disciplinary Actions
B -Problems in references from previous employers –
- Few provide detailed reference information
- Reference information provided on the wrong person, because of similar names
- Historical situations may not align with present conditions
- Records not review while giving information
C. Advantage of in-house referrals –
Assurance on quality of candidates
Monetary benefits to employees
Best suited for specialized positions
Promotes retention rate and improve attrition ratio
Limitation of inhouse referral system –
- It does not provide even playing field to all eligible candidates
- Might lead to charges of discrimination
- Lack of good candidates / key resource from market