Choose one pop-culture hero, superhero or villain, and identify one ethical issue this figure typically has to tackle. Then explain how your pop figure might solve the same ethical issue from at least 6 different ethical theories we have covered thus far. Make sure your ethical issue or problem is complicated enough for you to apply each ethical theory and to allow enough detailed analysis of the issue. Be sure to draw upon six of the nine theories we have covered thus far: Relativism Virtue Ethics Utilitarianism (Consequentialism, Teleology) Kantian Ethics (Deontology) Feminist Ethics Care Ethics Egoism Nihilism Postmodernism
For the assignment, I choose the famous teenager pop culture hero Nancy Drew who is the first teenage sleuth. Her character has one under tremendous changes over a period of time to the changes in the society and culture in USA.
She has had a substantial impact on many young children, teenage adolescents especially women, as she is someone who encompasses the ideal of fighting for justice using her gifted sleuthing skills and fighting the bad in the society. She is not intimidated by anyone and believes in herself.
Let’s describe an ethical issue in this instance say Nancy Drew has caught a criminal who is not completely at fault and his or her crime is the result of the wrongdoings of the society.
Let’s discuss each of the ethics theory
1. Relativism– This theory holds that ethics and moral values are in relation to the norms of the culture. This means there is no right or wrong and it depends on the moral values upheld by the society. One thing wrong in one society is right in another. In, such a situation Nancy Drew would uphold the law of the society and hand over the criminal to the justice system to take its course.
2. Virtue Theory- The virtue theory emphasizes that the character of a person is the key element in ethics and should be given significance, rather than rules about the consequences. In such a scenario if the criminal has no prior behavior of committing crime, no malicious intention and as stated before the act of crime is not completely his fault, he should not be treated with such harsh punishments. Nancy Drew would look at the essential character of the person.
3. Utilitarianism- It is the theory of justice that states that overall good is of the prime importance. In this case Nancy Drew should hand over the criminal to the police for the protection and safety for all in the society.
4. Care Ethics- They state that in normative ethical theory interpersonal relationships and care as a virtue. Here focus should be reformative and caring for the criminal.
5. Egosism –Ethical egoism is the theory which states that people ought to pursue their own self-interest and has no obligation to promote anyone else’s interests. In such a scenario, Nany Drew’s catching of the criminal makes no cases as he or she was looking after his or her self interest.
6. Nihilism– It is the meta-ethical view that nothing is morally right or wrong. In such a scenario that the crime is to judged by no one and there no generalized idea that what he did was wrong or right.